Makes 4 servings
8 ounces jicama
2 large mangoes, peeled
1 small red bell pepper, slivered
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 large jalapeno, chopped
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1. Peel and thinly slice the jicama, then stack the slices and slice them into 1/2-inch sticks. Put them in a large bowl.
2. Slice the mango flesh across the grain and add it to the bowl, along with the bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, sugar, and oil. Pour the dressing over the mango mixture.
4. In a small frying pan over high heat, dry-toast the pumpkin seeds, swirling and tossing them in the pan. When the seeds start popping and are toasted and fragrant, pour them onto a plate to cool slightly.
5. Serve the salad topped with the crunchy seeds.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Big Vegan by Robin Asbell.